Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Stashbusting Infinity Style

I really wanted to get this up in October because I think it is a fabulous gift idea plus a fabulous stashbusting project.  But life got in the way so you get it now. 
I got this pattern from Thread’s Issue 158. The December 2011/January 2012 It’s "The Koos Loop A designer's spin on the infinity scarf". Thank you math people who figured out how this works. All you sew is straight lines and you end up with a beautiful bias looking scarf with no bias strips. 


Some of my personal notes:
  • Sometimes, instead of sewing different strips of fabric to one large base fabric I sew strips of fabric together. 
  • I mark chalk lines and use fusible tape to make sure I get straight lines and to hold multiple layers of embellishment together.
  • Taking a friend’s advice I tried (mostly) to keep all the colors complimentary so it would be easier to match with garments for those who like matching outfits. 
  • Depending on the fabric you can have a rather larger stand out(as in away from the body) statement piece or a closer lying drapey scarf.
  • These are slightly addicting when you start matching fabrics, ribbons and lace... all the "infinite" possibilities.

I love the hidden pocket in this one! 

One of these is an actual Christmas gift while the rest are more mercenary sewing for the craft show. What do you think? Do you wear scarves as statement pieces? Most of my clothing is already made from crazy prints so I have to look hard to find pieces I can wear these with.

Ps. Check out the portrait of me that my seven yr. old neighbor boy drew of me during Bible study tonight. It made my day!

6 comments:

Diana said...

Wow! These are amazing! What a great project to use up fabrics, trims,etc. I made 25 infifnity scarves and sold them to make money for our community Food Bank last year and was able to use up a lot of those annoying pieces too big to throw out. Great little drawing too!

EmSewCrazy said...

Wow! 25 is a lot of scarves. What a great cause as well. That would fit in nicely with our November theme of Charity Stashbusting...
That drawing tickled me so much! It was too fun not to share.

niddetissus said...

Those are cool - I need to get that issue and make some up!!

EmSewCrazy said...

I think they are SO cool. Very different from regular infinity scarves. I finally found my copy of the magazine and added the issue info to the post. It's 158. Hope you have great success!

thequirkypeach said...

This is an awesome idea!!! I definitely need to make some of these up, especially as gifts! :)

EmSewCrazy said...

Go for it! They are addicting!! I have such fun sifting through my fabric and notions trying to decide what combinations, specific people would enjoy.