Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Expresso Elastic Hack

Beware sewing interwebs, Cake Patterns is hosting another sew along for it's latest pattern release and I'm part of it! Go Esme House!

Red Velvet Sewalong Esme House
Since Steph released a whole mini collection and not just a dress this time we get points for all the leggings and clutches we sew up as well. I cut out three pair on my first day and am now ready to insert the elastic waistband. I use a slightly different method, I don't even know if this should even technically be a hack...


1. Cut the elastic to your exact measurement. Instead of overlapping and sewing down the elastic, butt the two pieces of elastic against each other and stitch to a piece of woven fabric.
2. Stitch a lot! I prefer and used a zig zag stitch on my leggings.
2a. Trim fabric to stitching lines so it is invisible from the front.
3. Mark center back off to one side of join.
Center front and center back read to be pinned to my leggings.

Continue on following the expresso directions. This gives you a waist band with no lump at all! What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure, why not? :) Want to post a tute of the next step? That one's tricky tricky to capture well... ;)

EmSewCrazy said...

I can give it a try. I can see why it would be difficult....