I read two great tutorials that you can see here (my original inspiration) and another that is no longer working, then did my own thing. Haha, that's always the way right? So what did I do? Bullet points to the rescue!
- I used both legs of each pair of my jeans since I wanted the biggest baskets I could make.
- I cut the bottoms square instead of trying to get my fabric stand in a perfect circle. To do this you
- Fold your bucket tube in half and clip corners, align clips and clip the other corners. Your bucket bottom should now be divided into four sections.
- Measure one section. This is the space between two clips.
- Cut your square bucket bottom 1/2 inch LARGER than that measurement. This way you will have the correct size bottom for each bucket.
- Sew it up blah, blah all that jazz!
- The wide end was the top of my bucket which allowed easy fold over at the top. This also makes a handy handle to pick them up and move them around.
- I didn't use any interfacing since I was using upholstery weight fabric for the inside and heavy denim on the outside. They keep their shape nicely with stuff in them.
They came out all different sizes and shapes and as soon as I got them finished my Mother whisked them away to organize my brother's and my yarn stash. She even helped sew some of the straight side seams. My mother is a budding seamstress. I'm so proud of her.
I still have a few more to make but this put a huge dent in my jeans stash. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all the left over bottoms...
But wait! That's not all I stashbusted this month... guess what else I found on Pinterest....
|Link to Blog Post and Pattern|
|You can see my Mother absconded with this too.|
|Closeup of bottom/side transition detail.|
So that's as far as I got with this month's theme. How about you? What have you been stashbusting this month? Bags? Dresses? Cushions?
That's a terrific use for old jeans... thanks for the great idea!
I love these (both varieties). What a great idea!
Your welcome. It's a great multi purpose storage bin.
Thanks. It was a cheap solution to our storage problems.
Nice idea - shame that trousers from a 7 year old just won't have the same volume - unless I sewed several together (trousers, not 7 year olds). As for all those bottoms, one of my first makes was on this idea by Betz White - http://blog.betzwhite.com/2007/07/by-seat-of-my-pants.html - I use mine to hold clothes pegs (my version is here - http://bygaenor.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/retrospective-i-aprons.html).
Great links. Thanks for sharing. I love what you did for the ties. Clever to thread it through the belt loops. Yeah, kids trousers would be slow going. Thankfully I had some big pairs to work with.
I love your jean buckets. I will be shamelessly copying this for my collection of knitting WIPs.
Great! Go for it! They are a very satisfying make. It's not like I came up with the idea either. :)
Post a Comment