Thursday, June 2, 2016

Capsule Wardrobe Challenge: The Bottoms

For the challenge we were required to make two bottoms. I had this sparkly stretch denim and brown corduroy earmarked for trousers forever! I think I counted they have been on my To Sew list for four years.

For the sparkle denim I used my new favorite trouser pattern, the Endeavor from Cake Patterns. These are wonderful to put together. Steph drafts the pattern so you can immediately make it the correct length and also makes it easy to adjust for width. Plenty of room for shaping it to whatever shape your backside may be. With a side zipper it is familiar to install and faster than a fly front. I do put in a lapped zipper instead of the invisible one the pattern calls for. It does tend to be more
noticeable but it is what I have on hand. Stashbust those zippers!


One of my favorite parts about making pants is choosing fun linings and pocket bags. I really like the remnants I got to use up for these.

My corduroy trousers are a hack from the Maritime Shorts pattern. I'm not sure if I've got the leg lengthened exactly right but maybe it is just because the corduroy is softer than my first version in twill. They are soft and comfy and will pass for my work casual wardrobe.

I have been wearing the denim non stop and loving them. I was slightly worried the leg would feel too wide but it doesn't. I also get lots of compliments from strangers so I take this for a good sign. You have to really like something to comment to a stranger.

I'm considering this a success in my closet and in my stash!

No comments: