Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Cheater Cowl Tutorial

Hi Stashbusters,
This is my loving February gift to you! My cheater version for drafting a cowl without really drafting... This post will have a lot of pictures and I apologize for not getting a photo of the final product on the recipient. It looks a lot like my bird top.
This was on my stashbusting list so completing this project brings me up to 5 of my 27 garments accomplished.

Cheater Cowl Neck Tutorial

Supplies:

  • Your favorite knit t-shirt pattern
  • very drapey knit, if it isn't fluid and drapey don't even think about using it for this.
  • a piece of wire or something bendy that will hold its shape
  • a nice pen with that fluid ink
  • everything else you need to make a t-shirt
Step 1: Lay out your shirt pattern like you normally would leaving extra space at top of front pattern piece.

Step 2: Cut a piece of wire the exact length of your front armhole. (mine is bent from use)


Step 3: Cut out bottom and side of pattern like usual and remove pattern piece without disturbing fabric.


 Bend your wire into a U shape. The deeper the bend the deeper the cowl will dip.
 

Step 4: Lay the curved wire at the cut edge and trace your new armhole shape. Neaten edges if needed.

Step 5: Align front pattern piece with the edge of the armhole and draw shoulder line, marking the neckline. Continue that line doubling that length plus a 1/4 to 1/2 inch seam allowance.

Aligning the shoulder seam
Marking notch and doubling the length.
Final shoulder line.
Step 6: Draw a straight line from shoulder seam to folded edge.


Front shoulder and neckline drawn.

T-shirt front cut out.
 Step 7: Finish back neckline however you prefer. I chose to do a self fabric binding.


Step 8: Finish raw edge of neck and fold at shoulder mark.


 Step 9: Match up shoulder seams of front and back. Sew as usual.

Front to back sewn together.

Close up of shoulder seam at neckline. 
Step 10: Finish shirt as directed. Wear.

Photoshopped pic of the final result.
So there you go, easy peasy! If you make it up, have any questions on this process, or have any tips on bettering my tutorial skills; please leave me a comment and I will do my best to answer! 
Thanks for taking the time to catch this weed, I'll be tumbling along now...
EMily

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

It's like you are reading my mind! I just picked up a remnant of super drapey knit that I wanted to make into a cowl neckline. I'm going to have to try this out today. Thanks for sharing this technique.

EmSewCrazy said...

Yea!! Let me know how it works out. I hope the directions were clear enough. It is really simple to do though.

Sally Burch said...

It's taken me a couple of reads through this to get my head around it.... but I think I've got it now. I might try this with the left over bits of the dress I'm making.... hummm Thanks for the idea!

EmSewCrazy said...

Hope you get it to work. I think it's one of those things that is not so complicated when you actually do it. Let me know how it turns out.