Monday, October 29, 2012

Vintage Patterns Tailored to YOU!

Here we are, at the end of our wonderful series on Vintage Pattern Sellers. I hope everyone has enjoyed it as much as I have. To check out all the interviews I made a Page!
Our last seller is very unique and provides instant gratification. Please meet Omega!

Who are you?
I'm Omega, and I run the store Embonpoint Vintage. I have been a history buff for a long time and my love of historical clothes stems from there. As a plus sized woman I know how hard it is to find great vintage patterns that can be made in larger sizes, so to be able to make these patterns available makes me very happy.

How did you get bit by the pattern collecting bug? 
Honestly, I'm not sure how anyone could NOT be fascinated by old patterns, they are such a glorious snapshot of a bygone era. I love that they are/were an "everyday" item, and that each pattern has it's own story to tell. 

Do you sew? Vintage, Modern, or Both?
I sew, but not nearly as much as I'd like to these days! I used to make historical costumes for a living, and of course have done modern sewing as well. 

Do you have any sewing tips for those of us who do sew with vintage patterns?
Be patient! Trust in your own ability as a seamstress. Vintage patterns really respect the autonomy and skill of the person sewing the garment - there's often no bossy step-by-step instructions and a lot of decisions are left to you. This is a great learning experience. 

Why did you start an Etsy store?
I came across an old pattern book, where the patterns could be made up to accomodate a wide range of sizes. I couldn't bear the idea of keeping this treasure to myself, so after some very tedious machinations with copyright lawyers and suchlike I was able to make the patterns available for sale in their current form. After I found one book I searched the world for more - back in the day there were dozens (if not hundreds) of these sorts of books available over the years. I am trying to bring as many of them into a wider availability as possible. 

What is your favorite part of the selling process? Least Favorite?
Favourite is when my customers send me pictures of their completed garments - I love to see how they have interepreted the pattern and how amazing they look. Seeing someone in a gorgeous garment that I helped exist, and seeing the smile on their face is the best reward I can think of. 
Least favourite is when people don't read the description or shop policies before buying and then get confused and/or disappointed with what they have received - thankfully this happens very very rarely. 

How did you come up with the idea to sell patterns as PDFs? 
I knew I wanted to make this available to as many people as possible, so being able to send them anywhere in the world via PDF seemed like a good idea. The alterations and clarifications I do to the patterns to make them sellable seemed suited to the PDF format - once I had added all the instructions etc, I realised I was basically making an ebook for every single pattern, and sending a physical copy just didn't make much sense to me. 

What are the advantages of using your patterns?
The fact that they can be made up in (almost) any size is a great advantage - I have had people use these for a whole bridal party, dance troupe or for all the kids. Because these aren't just a pattern, they're a drafting system, they are a great way to learn more about the drafting process and how patterns work. The fact that they are PDFs means there's no shipping delay. 

What time periods do your patterns cover?
At the moment I have patterns ranging from 1934 to 1969. 
1930s Dress
1940s Dress


1950s Wedding Dress

1960s Coat

What is your favorite pattern of all time? Why?
Ooh, this is a tough one, trying to pick a favourite pattern is like trying to pick a favourite child! I have always been fond of "Domina", it's just such an elegant outfit:
Listing
Ooh, I'm loving that suit as well. Thank you Omega, for all the work you do making vintage styles available to a wider range of people! Check out her store, Embonpoint Vintage to see all the delightful choices!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun series & cute shop. I'm excited to order up a pattern & try out this system!

EmSewCrazy said...

I thought her shop was super neat! Let me know how working with her patterns go!