Thursday, February 19, 2015

When Chronic Disease Steals Your Sewing Time


Hey Fellow Sewists,
  I'd like nothing more than to be showing you a finished project, a new beauty fresh off the sewing machine. Unfortunately I got glutened over Valentines weekend which leaves me open to all sorts of germs so today instead of finishing my new jeans I laid on my sofa bed trying to ignore my aching head and joints.
  I was really frustrated because there is so much that needs to get done and I want to get done and I was at the point where my patience was wearing thin with my limitations. I was sick of being sick. Ever feel that way yourself?
  In desperation I reached out to a new friend who also struggles with a chronic disease asking her how she gets through. Here's what she replied,

"You ask how I manage? I'm not real sure how I do manage. Sometimes I don't manage and (my daughter) gets an ear full.
The one thing that I've been trying to accomplish is to refuse to think about what needs to be done. At a time like this one can always think of hundreds of millions of things to do. But break it down to what is absolutely necessary. Will someone die if this doesn't get done? No. Then it's not necessary for today. Right now just focus on taking care of your body and that is to clear your mind of stress. This is the time when it is absolutely necessary to just rest and meditate on the Word. It's hard to discipline one's mind to do it, but it can be done. ...
As you rest, think of all the fun things you would like to do some day and make a list...yes, just for the fun of it. You can throw it away later or keep it, but it is a way that allows your mind to stay occupied and still lets your body rest.
Now you know some of my secrets that get me through the worst of it. It's called diversion so I'm better able to deal with it.
Hope some of these suggestions will help as you go through this day. Rest and sleep are your best friends right now; embrace them!"
   I think she should add phone a friend to the list. Her words gave me the encouragement and permission to let myself relax and get some rest. I even took her advice and made a list. 
I know I'm not the only creative who has to fight physical limitations to sew and some of you have also shared your struggles. So what keeps you from sewing? What do you do to keep your spirits up?

15 comments:

Fooniks said...

Thank you for sharing! This is a truly inspirational post. I suffer from a severe case of migraines and taking time off to really take care of myself when I have an episode is really difficult for me. I often find myself suffering through the day while heavily medicated so that I don't have to close the studio for the day. Which can be really dangerous as the painkillers I use are meant to knock an average person out, however as my body is so used to them, I only get kind of dizzy and sleepy. And that can end up really badly when you are working behind a sewing machine/serger, pressing things with a powerful steam iron or handling a rotary blade/scissors. I'll try to keep this post in mind the next time I try to suffer through the day. If nothing is on fire, I should take a day or a few hours to get rid of the pain.

Andie L. said...

I definitely know how this feels. :( Celiac disease, fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, and a whole host of environmental/food allergies are keeping me from the things I love. This February has been bad for that and I've barely done anything. I have the same mind as your friend: take the time to recover and focus on a better future. <3 I find if I push through and do things it actually doesn't work out anyway: If it's sewing, I end up unpicking everything four times over; if it's my FT job, I just sit there feeling poorly and not focusing on work; if it is being social, I go out, but am unable to actually be social and simply look sour. It doesn't do anyone any favours and just harms me. So, I take the time now and remember to heal. <3 Many gentle hugs to you. <3

EmSewCrazy said...

Oh my! Yes, take a rest before you slice or burn your fingers off. :) We will both practice letting go of our stress and taking time to recuperate.
Thanks for sharing with me! Sometimes the best bit is just knowing we're not alone.

EmSewCrazy said...

Heather! Thanks! I am doing much better today and each day I gain back a bit more of my strength.

EmSewCrazy said...

Hey Andie, fellow Celiac and Type 1 diabetic here. Thanks so much for sharing and letting me know that we are not alone in our struggles. I hope you get to feeling better soon too.

Crab&Bee said...

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself, Emily! I too struggle with an overactive brain that can pit itself against my physical health (although lately I have this sneaking suspicion that what's good for one is good for the other!) and a couple of mild chronic conditions. I've been trying to keep in mind something I heard recently: that doing nothing - which few of us manage even for a few seconds - fosters creativity. When you're better, I'll bet you'll have some great new ideas and creations from all of your rest time! Feel better soon :)

EmSewCrazy said...

Ooh another great reminder to embrace the down time! Thanks Morgan!

Andie L. said...

Thank you so much. I hope you have a fast recovery. It usually takes me about a month to recovery from being glutened. I definitely hope your recovery is speedier. <3

EmSewCrazy said...

Yeah, I don't think I got a lot but you're right. It takes about a month to get back to full strength. Whatever that is. :) I always seem to pick up some germ after I get glutened so it keeps me feeling down. Does that happen to you?

Kristin Jones said...

Oh hey, I have a chronic illness too! I agree, it can be really frustrating when you want to do things and your body is fighting you the whole time. Last year, my body decided I wasn't getting the message and decided to throw some brain fog at me for a couple of months. Obviously nothing got done... So now I tend to agree with your friend. If I'm in pain, everything else stops and I rest so I can get more done the next day (or whenever). I can't put out clothing all the time like other blogs, but I'm super proud of what I do accomplish. Hang in there. :-)

Andie L. said...

All the time. I always get a cold after. It's because it compromises our immune system, as well, so we are more prone to infection/germs. I tend to get skin irritations during the month, too. :/


I hope you are on the upswing now.

EmSewCrazy said...

Oh I HATE brain fog! It makes everything difficult. Great job at listening to your body. It is making me really think about what I spend my sewing time on. I want to make sure I'll like what I'm making.

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks, I think I am... hopefully. :)
You hang in there too! We'll get through this one day at a time!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you posted this As you know, I have chronic illness, too. This post was exactly what I needed to read. Thank you.

Gabrielle said...

Thanks for your post! I have an auto-immune disorder, but these days it's pretty much under control thanks to daily medications - I am so glad to be born in this era! I used to try to battle through sickness: still going to work, looking after the kids and sewing late at night. These days I'm trying to give myself more of a break - as your friend said, no one will die if we don't get to sew! When I don't have sewing energy sometimes I'll lie in bed with a pretty magazine and a stack of post it notes that I'll stick to all the things I want to make (in my dreams of course!). Anyway, I think rest and sleep are exactly what you need when you're ill - and I hope you're feeling better now!