Monday, December 16, 2013

Red Velvet Take Two

Hey Guys, I've finally recovered enough to feel coherent enough to write the next installment of my own personal Red Velvet Saga. This is the serious model edition with no bells or whistles.

Pattern: Sewing Cake's Red Velvet

Size: Mom
Mom's Measurements
High Bust: 34.5
Full Bust: 36
Bust Length: 13
Waist: 32
Her Shape: Short (5' 4") Mother of three in her fifties.

My pattern adjustments before cutting my fabric 

Bodice – According to her measurements I cut a 30 B Bodice front and back which I lengthened 1 inch to get the correct under bust fit.

Dress 1: the muslin 
Fabric: This was an upcycle from two brand new poly/spandex velvet dresses I had been given.


Large sad cowl neck dresses...
Construction
  Since I was up cycling I cut the bodice and midriff pieces out of the smaller dress. There wasn't enough fabric to cut the full skirt so I just cut the correct length from the body of the second skirt keeping the pre made hem. I folded some regular pleats in to ease the skirt onto the midriff. Not that you can see any of this since the dress is black.
Because the velvet was heavyweight I used a lighter weight fabric for the neck facing.
She didn't want any pockets.

Final Thoughts: Because of the spandex this dress is a tighter fit. We're waiting for Cocoa and Carmine to finish this outfit off because it definitely needs some color added.



Fabric: This is a Stretch Hatchi Knit in Purple from Fabric.com. It is also a soft medium weight poly/spandex blend. Otherwise known as the "Blood Clot Dress" "The Modern Take on Tie Dye Dress" or "The, I like this fabric Dress"

Construction
I used her same measurements as the first dress, just lengthened the sleeves to elbow length. I did the scissor pleat skirt. No pockets again.

Final Thoughts: She chose this fabric and I don't think she looks too bad in it! Contrary to what my Father, brother and Aunt think. The guys just think it's wild but my Aunt thinks "old" ladies should wear solids not prints.
What do you guys think? Is this not an age appropriate print? I think she looks pretty great for her age! And why can't she wear a "wild" print if she thinks it's pretty.

On a totally separate note, I got a Facebook page. You should come like me so we can giggle over all the cool stuff I find all over the interwebs. Hope you're all staying healthy and getting to spend lots of time with loved ones as we quickly approach Christmas......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely dresses! I love the black velvet one, I have a soft spot for velvet. I'm also totally waiting on Carmine! Its such a cute jacket pattern and would look great in a bright hit of.colour with the dress.

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks Gjeometry. I was pretty excited when I realized I had some velvet to try the Red Velvet pattern. I know! I can't wait for the jacket either. Both of them actually! I think it will be just the thing for that dress.

kbenco said...

Your mum looks great in both versions, and why on earth should she be restricted to dark boring colours? I love the print version, it looks fun and modern.

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks Kbenco! It's very different from what she usually wears but I think it is a nice change... glad to have another vote on my side!