Monday, March 31, 2014

March Stashbusting or Why You Should Never Shop With Alzheimer's Lady

   I grabbed the first pair of dark wash jeans I saw off the shelf and hustled into the dressing room. Granny Alzheimer was getting fidgety but there was no way I was going to serve biscuits and gravy to the high school boys football team tomorrow morning in the same pair of shorts I'd been wearing all week. That same pair of shorts with that hole in the bum I'd just discovered this morning. Yeah....
   So I ignored the tag proclaiming these jeans had a slimming panel built in, didn't look at the fabric content and didn't really stop to see how they fit. I pulled them on and they didn't fall down so I whisked them off, gathered up Granny before she could disappear among the clothing racks and we headed to check out and home.
   It wasn't until I put them on the next morning and tried to put my cell phone in my pocket that I realized the "slimming panel" meant "we didn't put in the front pockets and all that top stitching that looks like front pockets is FAKE". I got another surprise the first time I sat down then stood back up. I stood up but my pants didn't. They stayed down where they had slid when I had sat. Being tall and these being low cut meant that unless I wanted to start a midriff bearing trend or share my undies with the world I was going to have to do some careful wardrobe planning when I wore these babies.
Look at those weird wrinkles! What kind of fabric does that!
   Plan my wardrobe I did. These were the only skinny jeans I owned and unfortunately were my go to pants for all my tunic tops or any time I needed to be a bit dressy. These were the only nice jeans I had and I wore them. I wore them even after the fabric started showing it's poor quality by getting these weird wrinkles and growing a size after every wear.  I wore them even when I was disgusted with the poor craftsmanship. I wore them.

UNTIL TODAY!
Today I finished my first Maritime Shorts jeans hack and I am super proud. It was just going to be a tester pair from some navy twill I found in the stash but it was too good of quality fabric to waste so I broke out the top stitching thread and Voila! 
Proud does not fully describe how I feel about these pants. Relieved, elated, delighted! I have a lovely pair of trousers that really don't look this wrinkly in real life. Trousers that fit me very well and don't have weird wrinkles or bagginess in the wrong places. I also used up an entire piece of stash fabric so GO ME! 
It's all in the details. I'm liking these "guts" shots. How about you?
This is my main accomplishment for this month. I also managed to make two simple skirt shorts and a pair of lengthened Maritime shorts. Next month, as I continue my Maritime Marathon I'll show you all my pattern alterations and adjustments. 

My loud red Maritime Shorts! Fun Fun! More guts too!

























Right now I am going to try to bask in the glow of what I have accomplished instead of looking at my 
to do list in despair... it's at times like these I wonder if I have early onset dementia because I'm not sure where March went. What did you get accomplished this month?

9 comments:

Marilla Walker said...

Amazing, well done on the jeans! I'm trying to make my own pattern at the moment (just completed the basic trouser) and it's so exciting to think I will be able to make trousers forever that actually fit! Boo to RTW, how does anyone ever look good in them? Well done you! X

Heather Bee said...

Nice Pattern hack! Now you can churn those babies out and have pockets too.

Jagoda Spronk said...

And bask you should! Fun, fun, fun, and so wonderfully finished. How do you stop yourself from wearing these pants inside-out? Those are very pretty guts...

Crab&Bee said...

I hate it when I stand up but my pants don't!! Congratulations on making pants and shorts that look awesome and won't give you grief. :) I really like your pocket stitching!

EmSewCrazy said...

Yep! I'm hoping to get a bunch done! I need to cover my bottom half!

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks, I am trying to finish the insides as well as the outsides. I'm going to content myself with showing you guys the guts and knowing there's fun hiding away inside.

EmSewCrazy said...

Haha! I know! Glad but not glad I'm not alone in this problem. I was so tickled with how the pockets turned out! So tickled!

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! I never intended to go on a RTW fast but once you've had custom fit clothes it's really hard to go back! Good luck on your trouser blocks! I've been very blessed to find patterns that worked well with my body shape with just a few alterations.

EmSewCrazy said...

It just flew by! I finished the shorts the beginning of March so I really spent most of the month on those jeans. Now I've got to whack out a couple more pairs!