Saturday, January 25, 2014

Japanese Chiffon Top




Look what I got for Christmas!! My fabulous parents gave me an IOU for a Japanese sewing book of my choice! After several delightful evenings browsing, I decided on Cotton Friend Autumn 2012. As we know magazines have more patterns than the books and as I looked at all the photos I could find online, this issue won with the most designs I wanted to make up! It was also one of the few I could actually find for sale on an English website. :)
You get what you get and you don't throw a fit! Welcome to my tripod-less indoor winter photo shoot. So unlike
the clean uncluttered Japanese photo shoots. I think my model face is coming along though.
I chose a simple top pattern with raglan sleeves; gathered at neckline and cuffs. I knew it would be a perfect match with the chiffon I splurged on last November. But hey! It's all stash busting now! ;) I traced the pattern, added seam allowances, and simply because I chose chiffon as my fabric I added an inch to center front and back for fuller gathers.

I need to make some proper undershirts to wear with it this summer.
I'm delighted to have another top I can wear
with this fabulous skirt!
I am Size LL for this pattern, which I find highly amusing. Only in Asia or Hollywood would I be considered an LL size. THIS is why SIZE NEVER MATTERS and MEASUREMENTS ALWAYS DO when you sew!
I'm 5' 10" and added several inches to the length so it would be semi tunic length on me which was easy peasy since they had already drafted this pattern to dress length; all I had to do was draw in my hemline.
I'm a 37 inch bust and I flat pattern measured to make sure there was enough ease, and there was, since this is a looser style. Most of their stuff is looser. How do they manage to look so put together and stylish in all these loose and flowy things? The magic of Japanese style!


I took my time and did french seams on all FOUR of the seams in this top. I also "tagged" my back with a bit of lace
since I knew there was no way I was going be able to tell the back from the front!
I did that hem where you sew it three times.
1/4 in. to mark the allowance around
Folded up along stitching line and basted
Rolled 1/4in. of fabric up neatly encasing the raw edge and stitched.
This gives one line of stitching on the front and two in the back as seen in
this photo. Supposedly this is supposed to help give the hem some weight
so it falls better or something...
I'm delighted I got to accomplish one of my goals so quickly and practice a new skill! I'm delighted to finally get to try some of these Japanese designs I've been drooling over for years! I even have enough chiffon left over to try something else too!
I know NO Japanese but I found it easy to put together because most of the instructions are in PICTURES! Besides, how many of us, who have been sewing for awhile even read the directions on most patterns anymore? If you've been sewing for awhile and want to try something new give a foreign country's patterns a try! Oh yeah! I'm so pumped! 

15 comments:

Heather Bee said...

I love this chiffon fabric, so beautiful! Great design for it.

EmSewCrazy said...

I KNOW!! It was a going out of stock sale and I couldn't resist polka dots and a larger floral!

Sharon said...

Perfect fabric for this design and like you love a polka dot!

Sandra said...

This looks great. I am going to tackle some chiffon soon, you top is great inspiration.

Stephanie said...

Lovely Top! Japanese sewing magazines are fabulous!

OneBLESSED mommie said...

Way to go Emily!! I would love to browse through the magazine sometime, just to see what the hype is all about!!! ;)

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! I am still super tickled about it! Such a fun and different polka dot print too!

EmSewCrazy said...

Glad I could inspire, Sandra! As long as you realize the process of sewing is a bit different, mainly slower, it's great fun!

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! I'm so glad I discovered them! So much fun!

EmSewCrazy said...

You know where I live! ;) I don't think you'll like it though given the faces you've made when I've shown you some of my other Japanese inspirations... :D It's definitely a totally different way of dressing from out here!

Borsmenta said...

I have a chiffon too unfinished since summer. The neckline is not done and I need to take a deep breath to start - I feel very insecure about it.
Yours came out excellent. All you need a spaghetti strap top underneath:)

EmSewCrazy said...

You can do it! Just relax and take it slow. :)
An undershirt is on my list to sew. Since it's freezing here I'm not in too much of a hurry. :)

Andrea Firth said...

Your top turned out beautifully! I'm always a bit scared of using prints for myself, maybe I should add some to my stash?

EmSewCrazy said...

I love prints so I vote yes! I'm the opposite of you and need to add more solids into my stash. :)

EmSewCrazy said...

Hurrah for the 3 step hem! Glad you enjoyed it!